- having a widespread reputation, usually of a favorable nature; renowned; celebrated: a famous writer.
- Informal. first-rate; excellent: The singer gave a famous performance.
- notorious (used pejoratively).
- well-knownher famously relaxed manner
- very wellthe two got on famously
- known to or recognized by many people; renowned
- informal excellent; splendid
- archaic of ill repute
late 14c., from Anglo-French famous, Old French fameus (Modern French fameux), from Latin famosus “much talked of, renowned,” often “infamous, notorious, of ill repute,” from fama (see fame (n.)). A native word for this was Old English namcuð, literally “name-known.” Catch phrase famous last words “remark likely to be proved wrong” is first attested 1948.