- characterized by approval or support; positive: a favorable report.
- creating or winning favor; pleasing: to make a favorable impression.
- affording advantage, opportunity, or convenience; advantageous: a favorable position.
- (of an answer) granting what is desired.
- boding well; propitious: The signs are favorable for a new start.
mid-14c., from Old French favorable “well-disposed, favorable, partial,” from Latin favorabilis “favored, in favor,” from favor (see favor (n.)). Related: Favorably.