- (sometimes initial capital letter) Slang. a federal official or law-enforcement officer.
- the Fed, Informal. the Federal Reserve System.
- the Federal Reserve Board.
- the past tense and past participle of feed
- fed to death, fed to the teeth, fed up to the teeth, fed to the back teeth or fed up to the back teeth informal bored or annoyed
- US slang an agent of the FBI
- the Fed US informal the Federal Reserve Bank or Federal Reserve Board
past participle adjective from feed (v.). Fed up “surfeited, disgusted, bored,” is British slang first recorded 1900, extended to U.S. by World War I; probably from earlier phrases like fed up to the back teeth.
1788, short for Federalist; as colloquial for “official of the federal government,” from 1916, especially, after 1930s, of FBI agents.