verb (used without object)
- to form pus; generate purulent matter; suppurate.
- to cause ulceration, as a foreign body in the flesh.
- to putrefy or rot.
- to rankle, as a feeling of resentment.
verb (used with object)
- to cause to rankle: Malice festered his spirit.
- an ulcer; a rankling sore.
- a small, purulent, superficial sore.
- to form or cause to form pus
- (intr) to become rotten; decay
- to become or cause to become bitter, irritated, etc, esp over a long period of time; rankleresentment festered his imagination
- (intr) informal to be idle or inactive
- a small ulcer or sore containing pus
late 14c., from Old French festre “small sore discharging pus,” from Latin fistula “pipe, ulcer” (see fistula). The noun is from c.1300. Related: Festered; festering.
- To ulcerate.
- To form pus; putrefy.
- An ulcer.