- a day or time of religious or other celebration, marked by feasting, ceremonies, or other observances: the festival of Christmas; a Roman festival.
- a periodic commemoration, anniversary, or celebration: an annual strawberry festival.
- a period or program of festive activities, cultural events, or entertainment: a music festival.
- gaiety; revelry; merrymaking.
- festal: a festival atmosphere of unrestrained joy.
- a day or period set aside for celebration or feasting, esp one of religious significance
- any occasion for celebration, esp one which commemorates an anniversary or other significant event
- an organized series of special events and performances, usually in one placea festival of drama
- archaic a time of revelry; merrymaking
- (modifier) relating to or characteristic of a festival
1580s, from earlier adjective (14c.), from Old French festival “suitable for a feast, solemn, magnificent, joyful, happy,” and directly from Medieval Latin festivalis “of a church holiday” (see festivity).