verb (used with object)
- to strike with the nail of a finger snapped from the end of the thumb.
- to tap or strike smartly.
- to drive by or as by a fillip: Anticipation filliped his passion.
verb (used without object)
- to make a fillip with the fingers.
- an act or instance of filliping; a smart tap or stroke.
- anything that tends to rouse, excite, or revive; a stimulus: Praise is an excellent fillip for waning ambition.
- something that adds stimulation or enjoyment
- the action of holding a finger towards the palm with the thumb and suddenly releasing it outwards to produce a snapping sound
- a quick blow or tap made by a finger snapped in this way
- (tr) to stimulate or excite
- (tr) to strike or project sharply with a fillip
- (intr) to make a fillip
mid-15c., philippen “to flip something with the fingers, snap the fingers,” possibly of imitative origin. As a noun, from 1520s, fyllippe.