verb (used with or without object), fil·trat·ed, fil·trat·ing.
- to filter.
- liquid that has been passed through a filter.
- the act or process of filtering
- a liquid or gas that has been filtered
- another name for filter (def. 7)
c.1600, perhaps from French filtration (1570s), noun of action from filter “to filter” (see filter (v.)).
1610s, probably a back-formation from filtration. As a noun, from 1846.
- The process of passing a liquid through a filter.
- To put or go through a filter.
- Material, especially liquid, that has passed through a filter.
- The act or process of filtering, especially the process of passing a liquid or gas, such as air, through a filter in order to remove solid particles.