verb (used without object)
- to make a hissing or sputtering sound; effervesce.
- a fizzing sound; effervescence.
- soda water or other effervescent water.
- an iced mixed drink made of liquor, lemon juice, sugar, and soda: gin fizz.
- British Informal. champagne.
- to make a hissing or bubbling sound
- (of a drink) to produce bubbles of carbon dioxide, either through fermentation or aeration
- a hissing or bubbling sound
- the bubbly quality of a drink; effervescence
- any effervescent drink
1660s, of imitative origin. Related: Fizzed; fizzing. The noun is recorded from 1812; meaning “effervescent drink” is from 1864.