- a person or thing that flanks.
- Military. one of a body of soldiers placed on the flank of an army to guard a line of march.
- Fortification. a fortification projecting so as to defend another work or to command the flank of an assailing body.
- Also called flank·er·back.an offensive back who lines up outside of an end.
- split end.
- one of a detachment of soldiers detailed to guard the flanks, esp of a formation
- a projecting fortification, used esp to protect or threaten a flank
- rugby a wing forward