- generating gas in the alimentary canal, as food.
- attended with, caused by, or suffering from such an accumulation of gas.
- having unsupported pretensions; inflated and empty; pompous; turgid: a flatulent style.
- suffering from or caused by an excessive amount of gas in the alimentary canal, producing uncomfortable distension
- generating excessive gas in the alimentary canal
- pretentious or windy in style
1590s, from Middle French flatulent, from Modern Latin flatulentus, from Latin flatus “a blowing, a breaking wind,” past participle of flare “to blow, puff,” which is cognate with Old English blawan (see blow (v.1)).