- a speck; a small bit: a fleck of dirt.
- a spot or small patch of color, light, etc.: the dapple mare with flecks of gray.
- a spot or mark on the skin, as a freckle.
verb (used with object)
- to mark with a fleck or flecks; spot; dapple.
- a small marking or streak; speckle
- a small particle; specka fleck of dust
- Also: flecker (tr) to mark or cover with flecks; speckle
late 14c., probably from Old Norse flekka “to spot,” from Proto-Germanic *flekk- (cf. Middle Dutch vlecke, Old High German flec, German Fleck), from PIE *pleik- “to tear” (see flay). Related: Flecked; flecking.
1590s, from fleck (v.) or else from Middle Dutch vlecke or Old Norse flekkr.