- (of a human leg) depicted as bent at the knee.
verb (used with object)
- to bend, as a part of the body: He flexed his arms to show off his muscles.
- to tighten (a muscle) by contraction.
verb (used without object)
- to bend.
- the act of flexing.
- any flexible, insulated electric cord; an electric cord or extension cord.
- Slang.an elastic band, as a garter.
- Mathematics. an inflection point.
- British a flexible insulated electric cable, used esp to connect appliances to mainsUS and Canadian name: cord
- informal flexibility or pliability
- to bend or be benthe flexed his arm; his arm flexed
- to contract (a muscle) or (of a muscle) to contract
- (intr) to work according to flexitime
- to test or display (one’s authority or strength)
1520s, probably a back-formation from flexible. Related: Flexed; flexing.
- To bend.
- To contract a muscle.
- To move a joint so that the parts it connects approach each other.