- a form of psychotherapy in which the patient receives abrupt and intense, rather than gradual, exposure to a fear-producing situation.
- the submerging of land under water, esp due to heavy rain, a lake or river overflowing, etc
- pathol excessive bleeding from the uterus, as following childbirth
- psychol a method of eliminating anxiety in a given situation, by exposing a person to the situation until the anxiety subsides
- A form of desensitization used in behavior therapy in which the patient imagines or is actually exposed to anxiety-producing stimuli.