- covered with or having leaves.
- like a leaf, as in shape.
- Also Architecture.
- ornamented with or composed of foliate tracery.:
- ornamented with representations of a foliate capital.:
- Petrology, Mineralogy. .
verb (used without object), fo·li·at·ed, fo·li·at·ing.
- to put forth leaves.
- to split into thin leaflike layers or laminae.
verb (used with object), fo·li·at·ed, fo·li·at·ing.
- to shape like a leaf or leaves.
- to decorate with foils or foliage.
- to form into thin sheets.
- to spread over with a thin metallic backing.
- Printing. to number the folios or leaves, as distinguished from pages, of (a manuscript or book).
adjective (ˈfəʊlɪɪt, -ˌeɪt)
- relating to, possessing, or resembling leaves
- in combinationtrifoliate
- (of certain metamorphic rocks, esp schists) having the constituent minerals arranged in thin leaflike layers
- (tr) to ornament with foliage or with leaf forms such as foils
- to hammer or cut (metal) into thin plates or foil
- (tr) to coat or back (glass, etc) with metal foil
- (tr) to number the leaves of (a book, manuscript, etc)Compare
- (intr) (of plants) to grow leaves
1620s, from Latin foliatus “leaved, leafy,” from folium (see ).
1660s, “to apply silver leaf,” from Latin foliatus “leaved, leafy,” from folium (see ). Meaning “to put forth leaves” is from 1775. Related: Foliated; foliating.