fourteenth [fawr-teenth, fohr-] ExamplesWord Origin adjective
- next after the thirteenth; being the ordinal number for 14.
- being one of 14 equal parts.
- a fourteenth part, especially of one (1/14).
- the fourteenth member of a series.
Origin of fourteenth before 900; Middle English fourtenthe, Old English fēowertēotha. See, Examples from the Web for fourteenth Contemporary Examples of fourteenth
Does that mean that the Fourteenth Amendment permits states to define marriage in that way?
November 7, 2014
The constitutional provision at issue in these cases is the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.
Geoffrey R. Stone
April 3, 2014
In fact, the Court mentioned these cases in passing and relied on the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.
December 26, 2013
The judge said the right to not be discriminated against under the First and Fourteenth amendments applies to the plaintiffs.
December 16, 2013
She just completed her sixth embed with American troops in Afghanistan and her fourteenth trip to that country.
June 14, 2010
Historical Examples of fourteenth
He had gone back to his trade and was working in a shop on Fourteenth Street.
F. Hopkinson Smith
I was fourteenth on the list for this, so that I had ample time to recover.
We had hall rooms in the same house in East Fourteenth Street.
Robert Neilson Stephens
He considers himself a felicitous copy of Louis the Fourteenth!
Earl of Beaconsfield, Benjamin Disraeli
Land holding was regarded as a misfortune in the fourteenth century.
British Dictionary definitions for fourteenth fourteenth adjective
- coming after the thirteenth in order, position, time etc. Often written: 14th
- (as noun)the fourteenth in succession
- one of 14 equal or nearly equal parts of something
- (as modifier)a fourteenth part
- the fraction equal to one divided by 14 (1/14)
Word Origin and History for fourteenth adj.
c.1300, by influence of fourteen, replacing or modifying fourtende, fowrtethe, from Old English feowerteoða, Old Norse *feowertandi (see) + (1). Cf. Dutch veertiende, German vierzehnte.