- Fortification. a defense consisting of pointed stakes projecting from the ramparts in a horizontal or an inclined position.
- a ruff worn around the neck in the 16th century.
- a woman’s embroidered scarf worn with ends crossed on the chest and pinned with a brooch or the like, popular in the early 19th century.
- Horology. a cutting tool for correcting inaccuracies in the teeth of a timepiece wheel.
noun, plural fraises [frez] /frɛz/. French.
- a brandy distilled from .
- a neck ruff worn during the 16th century
- a sloping or horizontal rampart of pointed stakes
- a tool for enlarging a drill hole
- a tool for cutting teeth on watch wheels