- noting or pertaining to a verb aspect expressing repetition of an action.
- the frequentative aspect.
- a verb in the frequentative aspect, as wrestle from wrest.
- denoting an aspect of verbs in some languages used to express repeated or habitual action
- (in English) denoting a verb or an affix having meaning that involves repeated or habitual action, such as the verb wrestle, from wrest
- a frequentative verb or affix
- the frequentative aspect of verbs
“verb which expresses repetition of action,” 1520s, from French fréquentatif, from Late Latin frequentativus “that which denotes the repetition of an act,” from Latin frequentatus, past participle of frequentare “visit regularly.”