adjective, friend·li·er, friend·li·est.
- characteristic of or befitting a a friendly greeting.; showing friendship:
- like a friend; kind; helpful: a little friendly advice.
- favorably disposed; inclined to approve, help, or support: a friendly bank.
- not hostile or at variance; amicable: a friendly warship; friendly natives.
- easy to use, operate, understand, etc. (usually used in combination): a consumer-friendly instruction manual; a friendly food processor.
- able to coexist with something without harm or trouble (usually used in combination): environmentally friendly building materials; a child-friendly restaurant.
- Also friend·li·ly. in a friendly manner; like a friend.
noun, plural friend·lies.
- a person who is in sympathetic relationship to oneself or one’s side; an ally or supporter.
adjective -lier or -liest
- showing or expressing liking, goodwill, or trusta friendly smile
- on the same side; not hostile
- tending or disposed to help or support; favourablea friendly breeze helped them escape
noun plural -lies
- Also called: friendly match sport a match played for its own sake, and not as part of a competition, etc
Old English freondlic; see (n.) + (1). Related: Friendlily; friendliness.