- Also . a decorative band, ribbon, or the like, worn across the forehead: The princess wore a richly bejeweled frontlet.
- the forehead of an animal.
- Ornithology. the forehead when marked by a different color or texture of the plumage.
- Judaism. the phylactery worn on the forehead.
- Also called: frontal a small decorative loop worn on a woman’s forehead, projecting from under her headdress, in the 15th century
- the forehead of an animal, esp of a bird when it is a different colour from the rest of the head
- the decorated border of an altar frontal
- Judaism a phylactery worn on the foreheadSee also
from Old French frontelet, diminutive of frontel (Modern French fronteau) “forehead, front of a helmet, hairband,” from Late Latin frontale “an ornament for the forehead,” from frons (see (n.)).