- injured by frost or extreme cold.
verb (used with object)
- past participle of .
- injury to any part of the body after excessive exposure to extreme cold, sometimes progressing from initial redness and tingling to gangrene.
verb (used with object), frost·bit, frost·bit·ten, frost·bit·ing.
- to injure by or extreme cold.
- of or affected with frostbite
- destruction of tissues, esp those of the fingers, ears, toes, and nose, by freezing, characterized by tingling, blister formation, and gangrene
- NZ a type of small sailing dinghy
also frost-bitten, 1550s, from (n.) + .
also frost-bite, 1813, from (n.) + (n.).
- Injury or destruction of skin and underlying tissue, most often that of the nose, ears, fingers, or toes, resulting from prolonged exposure to freezing or subfreezing temperatures.
- Damage to a part of the body as a result of exposure to freezing temperatures. It is caused by a loss of blood supply and the formation of ice crystals in the affected body part.