- the chief electrician on a motion-picture or television production.
- Informal. an old man.
- British. a foreman or overseer, especially the boss of a group of physical laborers.
- Glassmaking. a master glassblower responsible for shaping glassware.
- an old man, esp one living in the country: often used affectionately or patronizinglyCompare gammer
- informal, mainly British a boss, foreman, or owner of a factory, mine, etc
- the senior electrician on a television or film set
1580s, “elderly rustic,” apparently a contraction of godfather (cf. gammer); originally “old man,” it was applied from 1841 to foremen and supervisors, which sense carried over 20c. to “electrician in charge of lighting on a film set.”