- a fashion or mode of dress, especially of a distinctive, uniform kind: in the garb of a monk.
- wearing apparel; clothes.
- outward appearance or form.
verb (used with object)
- to dress; clothe.
- clothes, esp the distinctive attire of an occupation or professionclerical garb
- style of dress; fashion
- external appearance, covering, or attire
- (tr) to clothe or cover; attire
1590s, “elegance, stylishness,” from Middle French garbe “graceful outline” (Modern French galbe), from Italian garbo “grace, elegance,” perhaps from Germanic (cf. Old High German gar(a)wi “dress, equipment, preparation;” see gear). Sense of “fashion of dress” is first attested 1620s.
1836, from garb (n.). Related: Garbed; garbing.