- a warning, served on a third party to hold, subject to the court’s direction, money or property belonging to a debtor who is being sued by a creditor.
- a summons to a third party to appear in litigation pending between a creditor and debtor.
- adornment or decoration.
- the act of garnishing
- decoration or embellishment; garnish
- a notice or warning
- obsoletea summons to court proceedings already in progress
- a notice warning a person holding money or property belonging to a debtor whose debt has been attached to hold such property until directed by the court to apply it