- a doubling; duplication; repetition.
- Phonetics. the doubling of a consonantal sound.
- Rhetoric. the immediate repetition of a word, phrase, etc., for rhetorical effect.
- the act or state of being doubled or paired
- the doubling of a consonant
- the immediate repetition of a word, phrase, or clause for rhetorical effect
1590s, from Latin geminationem (nominative geminatio) “a doubling,” from past participle stem of geminare (see geminate).
- Embryologic partial division of a primordium, as of a single tooth germ forming two teeth.