- the genetic makeup of an organism or group of organisms with reference to a single trait, set of traits, or an entire complex of traits.
- the sum total of genes transmitted from parent to offspring.
- the genetic constitution of an organism
- a group of organisms with the same genetic constitution
“genetic constitution of an individual,” 1910, from German Genotypus (Wilhelm Johannsen, 1909); see gene + type. Earlier the same word was used with a sense of “type species of a genus” (1897); in this case, the first element is from genus.
- The genetic constitution of an organism or a group of organisms.
- A group or class of organisms having the same genetic constitution.
- The genetic makeup of an organism as distinguished from its physical characteristics. Compare phenotype.