adjective Veterinary Medicine.
- (of a cat) castrated.
- a hooked prolongation that develops during the spawning season on the lower jaw of a male salmon or trout.
- a thin, wedgelike strip of metal for controlling the area in which a moving part, as the table of a milling machine, slides.
- a keylike part having a head at each end, used with a matching cotter as a fastening.
- (in carpentry or ironwork) a heavy metal strap for fastening two members together.
verb (used with object), gibbed, gib·bing.
- to fasten (parts) together by means of a gib.
- a metal wedge, pad, or thrust bearing, esp a brass plate let into a steam engine crosshead
verb gibs, gibbing or gibbed
- (tr) to fasten or supply with a gib
- a male cat, esp a castrated one
- an informal name for Gibraltar
familiar abbreviation of Gilbert. As a typical name for a cat, from c.1400.
type of iron hook, 1560s, of unknown origin. As a piece of wood or metal to hold something else in place, from 1795.