- a person or thing that gilds.
- a silver or nickel coin and monetary unit of the Netherlands until the euro was adopted, equal to 100 cents; florin. Abbreviation: Gld., f., fl.
- a former gold coin of the Netherlands; florin.
- the monetary unit of the Netherlands Antilles and Suriname, equal to 100 cents.
- the Austrian florin.
- any of various gold coins formerly issued by German states.
- a variant spelling of guilder
noun plural -ders, -der, -dens or -den
- Also called: florin the former standard monetary unit of the Netherlands, divided into 100 cents; replaced by the euro in 2002
- the standard monetary unit of the Netherlands Antilles and Surinam, divided into 100 cents
- any of various former gold or silver coins of Germany, Austria, or the Netherlands
Dutch coin, late 15c., probably from a mispronunciation of Middle Dutch gulden, literally “golden,” in gulden (florijn) or some similar name for a golden coin (see golden).