- a person who eats and drinks excessively or voraciously.
- a person with a remarkably great desire or capacity for something: a glutton for work; a glutton for punishment.
- the wolverine, Gulo gulo, of Europe.
- a person devoted to eating and drinking to excess; greedy person
- often ironic a person who has or appears to have a voracious appetite for somethinga glutton for punishment
- another name for wolverine
early 13c., from Old French gluton (Modern French glouton), from Latin gluttonem (nominative glutto) “overeater,” formed from gluttire “to swallow,” from gula “throat,” from PIE *gwele- (see glut (v.)).