- affectedly grand or important; pompous: grandiose words.
- more complicated or elaborate than necessary; overblown: a grandiose scheme.
- grand in an imposing or impressive way.
- Psychiatry. having an exaggerated belief in one’s importance, sometimes reaching delusional proportions, and occurring as a common symptom of mental illnesses, as manic disorder.
- pretentiously grand or stately
- imposing in conception or execution
1828 (earlier as a French word in English), from French grandiose “impressive” (18c.), from Italian grandioso, from Latin grandis “big” (see (adj.)). Related: Grandiosely.