verb (used with object), green·-light·ed or green·-lit, green·-light·ing.
- to give permission to proceed; authorize: The renovation project was green-lighted by the board of directors.
- a green-colored traffic light used to signal drivers, pedestrians, etc., that they may proceed.
- authorization; approval; permission: The railroad has been given the green light on the proposed fare increase.
- a signal to go, esp a green traffic light
- permission to proceed with a project
verb greenlight -lights, -lighting or -lighted (tr)
- to permit (a project, etc) to proceed