- a type of sporozoan parasite that inhabits the digestive and other cavities of various invertebrates and produces cysts filled with spores.
- having the characteristics of or pertaining to a gregarine or gregarines.
- any parasitic protozoan of the order Gregarinida, typically occurring in the digestive tract and body cavity of other invertebrates: phylum Apicomplexa (sporozoans)
adjective Also: gregarinian (ˌɡrɛɡəˈrɪnɪən)
- of, relating to, or belonging to the Gregarinida
- Any of various sporozoan protozoans of the order Gregarinida that are parasitic within the digestive tracts of various invertebrates.
- Of or belonging to the order Gregarinida.