- a plant or animal that lives on or close to the .
- any of various fishes that live at the bottom of the water.
- a spectator, reader, or other person of unsophisticated or uncultivated tastes; an uncritical or uncultured person.
- a member of a theater audience who sits in one of the cheaper seats.
- any animal or plant that lives close to the ground or at the bottom of a lake, river, etc
- (in Elizabethan theatre) a spectator standing in the yard in front of the stage and paying least
- a spectator in the cheapest section of any theatre
- a person on the ground as distinguished from one in an aircraft
“theater patron in the pit,” c.1600, from grundling was a type of fish.(n.) in an Elizabethan sense of “pit of a theater” + . From the beginning emblematic of bad or unsophisticated taste. Old English