< /ˈhæb ɪ tənts; French a biˈtɑ̃/.
- a French settler in Canada or Louisiana, or a descendant of one, especially a farmer.
- Canadian. a Canadian of French speech and culture, especially one residing in the province of Quebec.
- a less common word for inhabitant
- (ˈhæbɪtənt, French abitɑ̃)
- an early French settler in Canada or Louisiana, esp a small farmer
- a descendant of these settlers, esp a farmer
late 15c., from Old French habitant, abitant “inhabitant,” from Latin habitantis “inhabitants,” genitive plural of habitans, present participle of habitare “to inhabit, dwell” (see habitat). Meaning “a Canadian of French descent” attested by 1789; the usual word for planters in 18c. Quebec.