- of the nature of a habit; fixed by or resulting from habit: habitual courtesy.
- being such by habit: a habitual gossip.
- commonly used, followed, observed, etc., as by a particular person; customary: She took her habitual place at the table.
- (usually prenominal) done or experienced regularly and repeatedlythe habitual Sunday walk
- (usually prenominal) by habita habitual drinker
- customary; usualhis habitual comment
mid-15c., from Medieval Latin habitualis “pertaining to habit or dress,” from Latin habitus (see habit (n.)).