- an inn or stopping place situated approximately midway between two places on a road.
- any place considered as midway in a course.
- a residence for former mental patients, convicts, or recovering drug users or alcoholics that serves as a transitional environment between confinement and the return to society.
- a place to rest midway on a journey
- the halfway point in any progression
- a centre or hostel designed to facilitate the readjustment to private life of released prisoners, mental patients, etc
- British a compromisea halfway house between fixed and floating exchange rates
- A rehabilitation facility for individuals, such as mental patients or substance abusers, who no longer require the complete facilities of a hospital or other institution but who are not yet prepared to return to their communities.