- Praise ye the Lord!
- an exclamation of “hallelujah!”
- a shout of joy, praise, or gratitude.
- a musical composition wholly or principally based upon the word “hallelujah.”
- an exclamation of praise to God
- an expression of relief or a similar emotion
- an exclamation of “Hallelujah”
- a musical composition that uses the word Hallelujah as its text
also halleluiah, 1530s, from Hebrew hallalu-yah “praise ye Jehovah,” from hallalu, plural imperative of hallel “to praise” also “song of praise,” from hillel “he praised,” of imitative origin, with primary sense being “to trill.” Second element is yah, shortened form of Yahweh, name of God. Replaced variant formation alleluia (12c.).