verb (used with object), halved, halv·ing.
- to divide into two equal parts.
- to share equally: to halve one’s rations with a stranger.
- to reduce to half.
- Golf. to play (a hole, round, or match) in the same number of strokes as one’s opponent.
- halve together, to join (two pieces of wood) by cutting from one, at the place of joining, a portion fitting to that left solid in the other.
- to divide into two approximately equal parts
- to share equally
- to reduce by half, as by cutting
- golf to take the same number of strokes on (a hole or round) as one’s opponent
c.1200, halfen “to divide in halves;” see half. Meaning “to reduce by half” is from c.1400. Related: Halved; halving.