- the hard, compact wood or timber of various trees, as the oak, cherry, maple, or mahogany.
- a tree yielding such wood.
- made or constructed of hardwood: a hardwood floor.
- the wood of any of numerous broad-leaved dicotyledonous trees, such as oak, beech, ash, etc, as distinguished from the wood of a conifer
- any tree from which this wood is obtained
- A eudicot or magnoliid tree, especially as distinguished from a coniferous, or softwood, tree.
- The wood of a eudicot or magnoliid tree. Hardwoods are in general harder than softwood. However, some hardwoods, such as basswood, are comparatively soft, while some softwoods, such as yew, are comparatively hard.