- (among certain primitive peoples) the practice of hunting down and decapitating victims and preserving their heads as trophies.
- the act or practice of actively searching for new employees, especially for professionals or executives: Every June the electronics manufacturers go headhunting among the newly graduated engineers.
- the act or practice of firing without cause, especially someone disliked: Their periodic headhunting was a contributing factor in the company’s failures.
- the act or practice of trying to destroy the power, position, or influence of one’s competitors or foes: Headhunting is ferocious in advertising.
- a headhunting expedition: The men left the village to go on a headhunt.
verb (used without object)
- to engage in headhunting.
- the practice among certain peoples of removing the heads of slain enemies and preserving them as trophies
- the recruitment, esp through an agency, of executives from one company to another, often rival, company
- US slang the destruction or neutralization of political opponents