noun, plural hi·ber·nac·u·la [hahy-ber-nak-yuh-luh] /ˌhaɪ bərˈnæk yə lə/.
- a protective case or covering, especially for winter, as of an animal or a plant bud.
- winter quarters, as of a hibernating animal.
noun plural -ula (-jʊlə) or -les rare
- the winter quarters of a hibernating animal
- the protective case or covering of a plant bud or animal
“winter residence,” 1708, from Latin hibernaculum “winter residence, winter quarters,” related to hibernare “to winter” (see hibernation) with instrumentive suffix -culum. Related: Hibernacular.
- A protective case, covering, or structure, such as a plant bud, in which an organism remains dormant for the winter.
- The shelter of a hibernating animal.