verb (used with object), high-hat·ted, high-hat·ting.
- to snub or treat condescendingly.
- snobbish; disdainful; haughty.
- informal snobbish and arrogant
verb -hats, -hatting or -hatted (tr)
- informal, mainly US and Canadian to treat in a snobbish or offhand way
- informal a snobbish person
- two facing brass cymbals triggered by means of a foot pedal
- another name for top hat
1889, “tall hat;” also used synechdochically for men who wear such hats; figurative meaning “swelled head” is from 1923. Drum set sense is from 1934.