verb (used without object)
- to participate in the high jump; compete as a high jumper.
verb (used with object)
- to clear or attempt to clear (a specified height) in a high jump: a goal of high-jumping his own height.
- a field event in which athletes, using a running start, compete in jumping for height over a crossbar supported by two upright poles.
- a jump for height made in this event.
- the high jumpan athletic event in which a competitor has to jump over a high bar set between two vertical supports
- (as modifier)high-jump techniques
- be for the high jump British informal to be liable to receive a severe reprimand or punishment