- a drink of whiskey mixed with club soda or ginger ale and served with ice in a tall glass.
- a signal to start a train, given with the hand or with a lamp.
- a signal for a train to move at full speed.
- Military Slang. a hand salute.
verb (used without object)
- Slang. to move at full speed.
verb (used with object)
- to signal to (the engineer of a train) to proceed.
- a long iced drink consisting of a spirit base with water, soda water, etc
- (originally in railway use) a signal that the way ahead is clear and one may proceed
- (intr) to move at great speed
- (tr) to drive (a vehicle) at great speed
type of alcoholic drink, 1898, probably from ball “drink of whiskey;” high because it is served in a tall glass.