- an elevated region; plateau: He moved to a highland far from the river.
- highlands, a mountainous region or elevated part of a country.
- of, relating to, or characteristic of highlands.
- a region in N Scotland, including a number of the Inner Hebrides. 9710 sq. mi. (25,148 sq. km).
- a city in NW Indiana, near Chicago.
- British. West Highland.
- relatively high ground
- (modifier) of or relating to a highland
- a council area in N Scotland, formed in 1975 (as Highland Region) from Caithness, Sutherland, Nairnshire, most of Inverness-shire, and Ross and Cromarty except for the Outer Hebrides. Administrative centre: Inverness. Pop: 209 080 (2003 est). Area: 25 149 sq km (9710 sq miles)
- (modifier) of, relating to, or denoting the Highlands of Scotland