- the handle of a sword or dagger.
- the handle of any weapon or tool.
verb (used with object)
- to furnish with a hilt.
- to the hilt, to the maximum extent or degree; completely; fully: to play the role to the hilt.Also up to the hilt.
- the handle or shaft of a sword, dagger, etc
- to the hilt to the full
- (tr) to supply with a hilt
Old English hilt “hilt, handle of a sword or dagger,” from Proto-Germanic *helt (cf. Old Norse hjalt, Old High German helza “hilt,” Old Saxon helta “oar handle”), perhaps from PIE *kel- “to strike.” Formerly also used in plural in same sense as singular.
see to the hilt.