- Often hinterlands. the remote or less developed parts of a country; back country: The hinterlands are usually much more picturesque than the urban areas.
- the land lying behind a coastal region.
- an area or sphere of influence in the unoccupied interior claimed by the state possessing the coast.
- an inland area supplying goods, especially trade goods, to a port.
- land lying behind something, esp a coast or the shore of a river
- remote or undeveloped areas of a country
- an area located near and dependent on a large city, esp a port