homolog [hoh-muh-lawg, -log, hom-uh-] noun
homologue or ho·mo·log [hoh-muh-lawg, -log, hom-uh-] noun
- something homologous.
- Chemistry. any member of a homologous series of organic compounds: Ethane is a homologue of the alkane series.
Origin of homologue 1840–50; French Greek homólogon, neuter of homólogosBritish Dictionary definitions for homolog homologue sometimes US homolog noun
- biology a homologous part or organ
- chem any homologous compound
homolog in Medicine homologue n.
- Something homologous, as an organ or part.
homolog in Science homologue homolog (hŏm′ə-lôg′, hō′mə-)
- A homologous organ or part.
- A homologous chromosome.
- A homologous chemical compound. Compare analog.