Honolulu [hon-uh-loo-loo] Examples noun
- a seaport in and the capital of Hawaii, on S Oahu.
Hawaii or Ha·wai·’i [huh-wahy-ee, -wah-, -wah-yuh, hah-vah-ee] noun
- a state of the United States comprising the N Pacific islands of Hawaii, Kahoolawe, Kauai, Lanai, Maui, Molokai, Niihau, and Oahu: a U.S. territory 1900–59; admitted to the Union 1959. 6424 sq. mi. (16,715 sq. km). Capital: Honolulu. Abbreviation: HI (for use with zip code), Haw.
- the largest island of Hawaii, in the SE part. 4021 sq. mi. (10,415 sq. km).
Examples from the Web for honolulu Contemporary Examples of honolulu
There were cases in Honolulu, Salt Lake City, Washington, D.C., and Miami.
October 9, 2014
Anthony says that even a flight from Los Angeles to Honolulu may at times be outside of the scope of radar.
March 13, 2014
The 747 was badly crippled but the pilots were able to get it back to Honolulu on the power of the two left engines.
March 11, 2014
Yet not long after our departure, Kim was threatening Seoul like old times and aiming new missiles at Honolulu.
December 15, 2013
“[Hart is] trying to create any type of an issue that the thinks might help him at trial,” Green told the Honolulu Civil Beat.
July 18, 2013
Historical Examples of honolulu
The other steamers touch at Honolulu and go on to the Australian colonies.
The Department of Foreign Affairs
When you worked on the cruiser ‘Honolulu’ you handled blueprints?
John L. Spivak
When the cruiser “Honolulu” made its trial run in the spring of 1938, Boldt was on board.
John L. Spivak
Nuuanu (Nu’u–nu) a valley back of Honolulu that leads to the “Pali.”
Nathaniel Bright Emerson
The Geier entered Honolulu on Oct. 15 in an unseaworthy condition.
New York Times
British Dictionary definitions for honolulu Honolulu noun
- a port in Hawaii, on S Oahu island: the state capital. Pop: 380 149 (2003 est)
- a state of the US in the central Pacific, consisting of over 20 volcanic islands and atolls, including Hawaii, Maui, Oahu, Kauai, and Molokai: discovered by Captain Cook in 1778; annexed by the US in 1898; naval base at Pearl Harbor attacked by the Japanese in 1941, a major cause of US entry into World War II; became a state in 1959. Capital: Honolulu. Pop: 1 257 608 (2003 est). Area: 16 640 sq km (6425 sq miles)Former name: Sandwich Islands Abbreviation: Ha, (with zip code) HI
Word Origin and History for honolulu Honolulu
chief city of Hawaii, from Hawaiian hono “port” + lulu “calm.”
from Hawaiian Hawai’i, from Proto-Polynesian *hawaiki. Said to mean “Place of the Gods” and be a reference to Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa. See also. Related: Hawaiian (1825). First record of Hawaiian shirt is from 1955.
honolulu in Culture Honolulu
Capital ofand largest city in the state, located on the island of Oahu.
State located in thesouthwest of the mainland United States; consists mainly of a chain of eight islands, including Hawaii, the largest, and Oahu, location of , the state’s capital and largest city.
Note Fiftieth state, admitted in 1959.Note Location of.