- Nautical. a ship specially built for breaking navigable passages through ice.
- an opening remark, action, etc., designed to ease tension or relieve formality: A mild joke can be a good icebreaker.
- a tool or machine for chopping ice into small pieces.
- Also called: iceboat a vessel with a reinforced bow for breaking up the ice in bodies of water to keep channels open for navigation
- any tool or device for breaking ice into smaller pieces
- something intended to relieve mutual shyness at a gathering of strangers