noun, plural id·i·o·cies.
- utterly senseless or foolish behavior; a stupid or foolish act, statement, etc.: All this talk of zombies coming to attack us is pure idiocy.
- Psychology. (no longer in technical use; considered offensive) the state of being an idiot.
noun plural -cies
- (not in technical usage) severe mental retardation
- foolishness or senselessness; stupidity
- a foolish act or remark
1520s, from idiot on model of prophecy, etc. Early alternatives included idiotacy (1580s), idiotry (1590s).
- The state or condition of being an idiot; profound mental retardation.